Skip to main content

ADVICE FOR TEENAGERS: THINGS I WISH I KNEW AS A TEENAGER



As a girl in my teens, I had tons of information and I was very curious about life and how to be a teenager. I sought advice from older people around me and also read books I could lay my hands on.
Some of my questions were answered intelligently and they acted as compass that navigated my teenage years with ease. Others were left to be understood as I aged. I have learned with experience, how to be a teenager and I’d love to share them with you in ten bullet points.


YOU HAVE ALL THE TIME: As a teenager, I noticed that apart from attending classes and running errands for my mom, I had all the time to myself. I was lucky to have loved books at an early age so I immersed myself in them. I’d advice you do the same as a teenager. Make books your friend, and savor every moment you have with your family because with time, you will not always have your loved ones with you at the same place all the time.

LEARN TO BE ASSERTIVE: This is what I was privileged to learn from my strong mom at an early age. As a girl, it was very easy to say “no” to unpleasant requests without giving explanation for my decision. It came off to my friends as being arrogant but in Nigeria where I was raised, being assertive as a girl was a life saver.

CHOOSE YOUR FRIENDS WISELY: This is a very important advice every teenager should learn and incorporate in their dealings with others. Do you think I learned that early enough? Well, I missed it! I had a fair share of making frenemies and the consequences that came with it. I’d advice you to be intentional about who you call your friends. Friends have a great impact on our attitude. If you don’t like your friend’s attitude to life and others, then quit the relationship because we become who we constantly surround ourselves with.

IT IS OKAY NOT TO BE IN A GROUP: I know we are all humans and want to be loved, appreciated and be in company but it is still okay not to be in a group especially if being in that setting causes more harm than good to you. Sometimes, not being in a group may be to your advantage. Unnecessary drama, fighting and gossiping can be avoided.

LOVE YOURSELF: This is very important because no one can love you more than you do to yourself, with the exception of God and some sweet parents. Take care of your physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual health.


NO ONE HAS IT ALL: Have you ever looked at someone with so much admiration and think he or she has it all? I have been there! With maturity and time that has sweetly flown by and rubbed on me wisdom, I’ve realized that we are all flawed and that nobody’s life is perfect. We’ve just learned to embrace our uniqueness, beauty and learned to unlearn bad attitudes, incorporate virtues in our lives and looked onto life with optimism.

YOU WILL OUTGROW THE SHY STAGE OF LIFE: I know it’s hilarious but if I can overcome the stage when I was very self-conscious, shy and embarrassed at every little perceived or real flaw of mine, then there’s good news for everyone. How did I do it? Well, I just learned to focus on my strengths, loved myself enough not to be too hard on me and avoided gossiping and people that only see the negatives and can’t wait to tell me how badly I performed even if I had a stellar performance in the eyes of others.
HAVE BOUNDARIES AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE: This is an essential tool every teenager needs to survive the countless requests and situations that would push them to their limits. As a girl in Nigeria, I learned to say “no” and shout it at the top of my voice to those uncles who tried to show romantic interests in me behind my mom’s back. Having boundaries also helped me act like a teenager and aligned my focus in the right direction.

With hindsight now, I’d advice my teenage self to focus on loving myself, having a good identity, showing integrity in all I do, building good habits that will act as foundations for me and most importantly, loving God deeply, closely and passionately and asking for his strength and guidance daily.
DO YOU GET MORE ADVICE FOR TEENAGERS? I’VE MADE A VIDEO FOR YOU. CLICK HERE TO WATCH ITπŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡πŸ‘‡

LET’S CONTINUE THE CONVERSATION IN THE COMMENT SECTION.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts about that kitchen waste..STOP THE PROCRASTINATION!!!

THOUGHTS ABOUT THAT KITCHEN WASTE:PROCRASTINATING THAT SOLUTION Hey lovelies!!! It is my first blog and I am so happy to welcome you all to join me in this fabulous journey. I hope you enjoy reading my thoughts and health tips so let's get started. I got inspired by a discussion I had recently about a huge challenge that is hindering us from achieving our schedules and desired goals and I decided to remind us about it and offer a little tip on how to deal with it. Let's start with overcoming the problem of procrastination. Many of us can identify with the problem of procrastination,- those times when you feel something needs to be done but then you postpone it for a more convenient time, until it becomes a nuisance and then you're forced to deal with it but more urgently than you would want to.  We often pay little or no attention to this problem in disguise. I have a good example of this from a very special room in our home which is our kitchen . We may feel l

SHOULD CHRISTIAN WOMEN MAKEUP? TRUE BEAUTY FOR A WOMAN

I've been asked countless times about my stance about women, makeup and beauty. Fortunately, I read from an article online that wrote intelligently about exactly what I believe in and I would love to share it with you all. We live in a society that places a high degree of importance on physical appearance. We see men and women (more women) running to plastic surgeons, having many different kinds of procedures done simply to enhance their appearance. Our society is obsessed with physical beauty, and many women are caught up in that obsession as well. But should beauty really be that important for a woman? Is beauty something that a Christian woman should strive for? What makes a woman truly beautiful? A woman can and should be beautiful—God designed her to be that way. Her skin, hair and other features were created to be soft and appealing, and her body was fashioned to be attractive and beautiful to men. A woman was designed to be attractive, and most women want to be

TRAVEL TO NIGERIA Living in Nigeria Life In Nigeria #visitnigeria #nigeria

TRAVEL TO NIGERIA  Living in Nigeria Life In Nigeria #visitnigeria #nigeria Happy new year lovely people!So, we visited Nigeria and I took lots of vlogs showing life in Nigeria. Living in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. click on the videos to watch. OUR TRIP FROM FINLAND TO TURKEY TO NIGERIA MY VILLAGE LIFE ENJOYING NATURE AND DOING SOME CHORES A VISIT TO A TRADITIONAL MARKET  IN NIGERA A SURPRISE WEDDING ANNIVERSARY NIGHT A VISIT TO #pleasurepartnigeria AMUSEMENT PARK A VISIT TO #hotelpresidentialnigeria #luxurioushotelinnigeria MY REVERSE #cultureshock in NIGERIA SEE MORE ON MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL  HERE